Installing a water filtration system in Sydney, Australia homes is a sought-after practice because of the significant health benefits it offers. Are you feeling unsure about fitting a water filter in your home and if you need a plumber for this purpose? With many types of filters in the market and varying degrees of installation complexity, it’s no surprise that homeowners are hesitant to do it themselves. In this article, we’ll expound on the advantages of a water filtration system installation and see if calling a professional plumber is necessary. We’ll also provide tips on selecting the right type of filter for your needs and guide you on how to install it safely and efficiently. By the end of this article, you’ll have all the knowledge required to make an informed decision about whether to DIY or hire a professional.
Why is Installing a Water Filter Important?
There are several reasons why installing a water filter in Sydney home is beneficial. It enhances the taste and smell of tap water and eradicates harmful contaminants and chemicals like lead and chlorine that may be present in the water supply. Using a water filter leads to better health overall for you and your family, reducing the risk of illnesses caused by contaminated water.
Different Types of Water Filters
There are three main types of water filters on the market, each having its unique features and advantages. These are carbon filters, reverse osmosis filters and ceramic filters.
- Carbon Filters: Carbon filters are the most commonly used water filters. They work by removing impurities and contaminants from the water by using activated carbon. This type of filter is effective at removing chlorine, pesticides, and other organic compounds, making it ideal for most households in Sydney.
- Reverse Osmosis Filters: Reverse osmosis filters are meant to remove a wide range of contaminants from water, including lead, fluoride, arsenic, and nitrates. They work by forcing water through a semi-permeable membrane, which traps impurities and allows clean water to pass through.
- Ceramic Filters: Ceramic filters are made from a porous ceramic material that filters water as it passes through. They are effective at removing bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens from the water supply, making them ideal for homes that rely on rainwater or bore water.
Installation of a Water Filter
The installation process for a water filter depends on the type of filter you have chosen for your home. Here is a general guide on how to install each type of water filter.
- Carbon Filter Installation: Carbon filter installation is relatively straightforward and can be done without a plumber’s assistance. The filter is generally installed under the sink and requires a separate faucet to be installed on the countertop. This type of filter usually comes with all the necessary components and installation instructions.
- Reverse Osmosis Filter Installation: Reverse osmosis filter installation is more complicated than a carbon filter and may require the services of a plumber. The filter is usually installed under the sink and requires a separate faucet to be installed on the countertop. The installation process involves connecting the filter to the cold water supply, installing the storage tank, and running a drain line to the sink’s drainpipe.
- Ceramic Filter Installation: Ceramic filter installation is similar to a carbon filter and can be done without a plumber’s assistance. The filter is usually installed under the sink and requires a separate faucet.
Do You Need a Plumber to Install a Water Filter?
Whether or not you need a plumber to install a water filter is dependent on the filter you choose. If a carbon or ceramic filter is what you’ve chosen, you may find that installing it without the help of a plumber is well within your capabilities. When it comes to installing a reverse osmosis filter, though, it’s best to get a professional plumber’s help to make sure it’s done right.
Due to the intricacy of linking the filter to the cold water supply and installing a storage tank, expert assistance is recommended for reverse osmosis filter installation. Leaks and other problems caused by sloppy installation can have disastrous effects. A plumber will have the skills and equipment necessary to ensure the installation is done properly and safely.
Benefits of Hiring a Plumber
There are some water filtration systems that may be installed without the assistance of a professional, but there are many more reasons to hire a qualified and insured plumber. A professional plumber will have the skills, equipment, and knowledge to install and integrate the system into your existing plumbing safely and effectively. Among other things, they can advise you on the best place to put the filter.
Furthermore, a plumber’s swift problem-solving ability and expertise can save you time and money in the event of any mistake during installation, all while providing you with peace of mind that the installation was done correctly.
If you’re going to hire a plumber, make sure you pick the appropriate one. Some suggestions for finding a reliable plumber in Sydney:
- Find a plumber who has experience and can provide proof of licensing and insurance.
- Verify their credibility by reading customer testimonials and asking for references.
- Make sure you’re getting a fair price by getting estimates from many plumbers.
- Inquire about their proficiency with water filtration system installation.
- Make sure they are knowledgeable about the specific type of water filter you have opted for.
Installing a water filter in your home in Sydney can provide numerous benefits, including improved taste and health benefits. While some types of water filters can be installed without the assistance of a plumber, it is recommended to hire a professional for more complicated installations, such as reverse osmosis filters. By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your water filter is installed correctly and safely, providing clean and healthy water for you and your family.